The 3rd Phase of the elections, has many interesting and important points. This phase of the 16th Lok Sabha elections will be the first phase in some big states of the country,which have a large number of seats like UP, Bihar, MP including Delhi also, which is the national capital of the country and the nerve center of politics as well.
This phase will see some of the biggest names of the country contesting in various parts of the country. The well-known faces of the political parties and the parliament, whose voters will be deciding their win or loss include:
1) Kapil Sibal: Three time Lok Sabha candidate from the seat of Chandni Chowk in Delhi, Sibal is also the Union Minister for the Ministry of Communications & IT, and the Ministry of Law & Justice in the Congress led UPA government.
2) Harsh Vardhan: The BJP senior leader, who is fighting against the Congress candidate Kapil Sibal, was also the Chief Ministerial candidate of the BJP party for the Assembly elections. Given the claims of Modi wave by BJP, Dr. Harsh Vardhan is supposed to give a tough fight to Sibal.
3) Ashutosh: The journalist turned politician, who joined AAP is also contesting from the same seat of Chandni Chowk. He is the spokesperson of Aam Aadmi Party. AAP, who gave a neck-to-neck competition to the BJP in the Delhi Assembly elections last year, is believed to be a favorite among the people all over particularly the youth.
4) V K Singh: The retired Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army, V K Singh rose to popularity, when he was seen taking part in the protest against corruption with Anna Hazare. His political affiliation was however very soon evident as he joined BJP. He was given the Lok Sabha ticket of Ghaziabad, where Raj Babar of Congress and Shazia Ilmi of AAP are the other contenders.
5) Ajay Maken: Currently the Congress General Secretary, Ajay Maken, is a Lok Sabha member from the New Delhi constituency. He will be fighting against BJP’s Meenakshi Lekhi and Ashish Khetan of the AAP in tomorrow’s fight. The constituency is considered crucial due to its symbolic importance as it houses the country’s power centers and,Maken, Lekhi and Khaitan are putting up an engrossing fight to grab the seat.
6) Rajmohan Gandhi: Grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, is a biographer and a research professor at the Centre for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Illinois, at Urbana-Champaign, USA. He joined AAP and was soon given a ticket to fight from East Delhi. Mahesh Giri of the BJP and Sandeep Dikshit of Congress have a stronghold on this constituency, so it won’t be easy for Rajmohan Gandhi to garner votes.
7) Kadir Rana: The BSP candidate from Muzaffarnagar, already member of the Lok Sabha, will be trying his luck again in this riot-hit place.
8) Shashi Tharoor: Minister of State for Human Resource Development (HRD), Member of Parliament(MP) from Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala under the Congress led UPA government,Tharoor is said to be in a win-win situation. He will face former union minister and BJP leader O RajaGopal, CPI-M’s Bennet Abraham, a relatively non-political candidate and Ajith Joy, a former-IPS who is contesting as an Aam Aadmi Party candidate.
9) Meira Kumar: Five times, member of Parliament and the first woman speaker of the Lok Sabha, Meira Kumar will fight the elections from the seat of Sasaram (SC) in Bihar. She will fight against her own neice Medhavi Kirti who is contesting on the ticket of BSP. Bihar’s ruling JD(U) has fielded KP Ramiah, a retired IAS officer, against her, while the BJP has fielded former Minister Chedi Paswan for the seat.
10) YogendraYadav: The academician turned politician, Yogendra Yadav is the member of the AAP and will contest from the seat of Gurgaon, Haryana.