Richard Gasquet injury hands Andy Murray quarter-final spot in Toronto Masters

andy murray

TORONTO, August 7, 2014: Andy Murray enjoyed a walkover into the Toronto Masters quarter-finals on Thursday when Richard Gasquet pulled out of their third round encounter with an abdominal injury, the organisers said. “#RogersCupTO Announcement: @richardgasguet1 has had to withdraw from our tournament for both singles and doubles due to an abdominal strain,” tweeted the organization.

Andy Murray earlier defeated promising Aussie teenager Nick Kyrgios 6-2, 6-2 in less than an hour in his second round match at the Toronto Masters. Murray, the eighth seed who won the Canadian title in 2009 and 2010, had been seen as a potential scalp for the dangerous Kyrgios since losing to Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov in the Wimbledon quarter-finals. In the interim, the disappointed 27-year-old Scot left for his training base in Miami to try and rediscover his best form, which had eluded him since back surgery in September.

He also signed former top French WTA player Amelie Mauresmo to a long-term coaching contract after an experimental period through the grasscourt season. “I was just lacking a little bit,” Murray said. “But after Wimbledon, I went over to Miami and I really trained like I used to for the first time since the surgery and I felt much better.”