ZAGREB, July 15: Eduardo da Silva, the Brazilian-born Croatian striker, on Tuesday announced his retirement from international football, saying he was unhappy with the way he had been treated. “I inform the Croatian Football Federation that I don’t intend to play for the team in which I played 64 times since the first appearance in 2004,” Eduardo said in a statement.
The 31-year-old recalled that his 29 international goals make him country’s second highest scorer after Davor Suker. “During the past few years for me there were several very hard moments … which are consequences of activities of people who are formally not part of the squad but have a big influence on its work and officials,” he said.
“I believe that I’m deprived of a fair and honest treatment.” Eduardo did not elaborate but he was said to be referring to Dinamo Zagreb executive president Zdravko Mamic, the most powerful man in Croatian football.
Mamic was Eduardo’s former manager and the player had undertaken legal proceedgins over his contract. National coach Niko Kovac said he would respect Eduardo’s decision.
“I highly appreciate his football qualities,” Kovac said, adding he would not elaborate the reasons why Eduardo did not play more at the World Cup in Brazil.
Croatia finished third in Group A behind Brazil and Mexico, but ahead of Cameroon. Eduardo played last season for Shakhtar Donetsk and is currently in talks to join Brazilian side Flamenco.