India’s Gagan Narang did the country proud today by winning a silver medal in men’s shooting in 50m Rifle Prone event. He won the 11th silver medal for the nation and overall his 9th medal in the commonwealth games, as the shooters continued to enhance India’s medal tally at Glasgow.
Let’s now have a look at the eight interesting facts of ace air riffle shooter –
1. Olympic Gold Quest–Gagan is supported by Olympic Gold Quest, which is a platform to recognize and support Indian sportspersons with a proven track record and who can be prospective gold medal winner for the country in Olympics. This nonprofit sports organization was founded in the year 2001 by Prakash Padukone and Geet Sethi.
2. Olympic Medal – He was the first Indian shooter to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics. He won a bronze medal in the men’s 10m air riffle discipline.
3. Commonwealth Games–Gagan is playing in his third CWG in Glasgow. He has previously won 4 gold medals each in 2006 Melbourne games and 2010 Delhi games. He must be really disappointed with his efforts in Glasgow as he had to settle for his first silver medal in three commonwealth games.
4. Asian Games–He has won 3 bronze medals in 2006 Doha Asian games and 2 silver medals in Guangzhou games. He is still searching for his first gold in these games.
5. Afro-Asian Games –Gagan won a gold medal in 2003 Afro-Asian games held in Hyderabad, India. He won the medal in 10m air riffle event.
6. ISSF World Cup –He has great records in these games winning 2 gold and 2 bronze medals so far. He has won gold medals in 2006 Guangzhou games and 2009 Changwon World Cup.
7. Recognitions–For his sporting achievements across the globe and making the nation proud, Gagan was conferred by the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award,which is India’s highest sporting honourby then President Pratibha Patil on 29th August 2011. He was invited at the 2012 Indian Grand Prix to wave the chequered flag. He was also conferred with cash awards by the state governments of Rajasthan, Haryana and Andhra Pradesh, which has now been split into two states.
8. GunForGlory Shooting Academy –This academy is an initiative by Gagan and Pawan Singh, who is an assistant coach of Indian Shooting team. It is the first global shooting academy in India and has been started with a view to promote shooting sport in the country. This international institute provides best in class infrastructure and is located at Shiv Chhatrapati Sports complex in Balewadi, Pune.